Monday 11 June 2012

Last Day Off

Today is essentially my last day off before we start a school. For the next three days, our team will work to finalize and iron out all of the big and small details to make our first day, and first few weeks, as high-quality as possible.

I am going to give an overview of our school, our vision, and our mission in a post soon, but I am going to use this opportunity to talk a bit about my state of mind going into tomorrow. Mostly in the hopes that it provides some sort of catharsis for me (and is interesting for you).

Tomorrow, after a three-day break, I'll start work again with my wonderful 321 team. For three days, we will continue to set up and prepare for our first few days of school. On Friday we will welcome students and parents into our school for the first time (yikes!).

I am really excited, but also slightly anxious. Scratch that. I go through periods of intense excitement, followed by periods of intense anxiety.

I keep coming back to one thing though, and that's our students. I have been thinking a lot about the students I taught over the past two years, and how in a couple of days, they too will start school, the fourth standard, with a new teacher. It breaks my heart a little bit that I won't be starting with them. In the past two years, I think I've spent more time with them then anyone else in my life, and that's a hard void to fill.

I feel better knowing that they will in all likelihood have a stronger teacher than me, and also knowing that in just a few days, I'll be welcoming a new group of students into my classroom. Kindergarten babies at that!

So the prospect of meeting a new set of students, the excitement that will come from pushing them towards higher expectations, provides some sense of ease or solace for right now. I'm excited, and scared, and nervous, and happy to take on this journey.

Pretty sentimental right?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Arnab. All the best in the new inning. I think it's always a good thing when excitement and anxiety go together. They are counter forces that keep you together. May this new chapter be as enriching and fulfilling for you as the last one was. All the best. And keep updating the blog regularly. Cheers. CdB

    ReplyDelete